Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm going to try to sell it myself. Any advice?

You bet I do! Why would I give you free advice to sell your home without me? I'm nice to a fault. That, plus, if you give it your very best shot and you still can't sell it on your own, you should call the agent who tried to help you out, don't you think?

Okay, quickly,

1. Don't just put a sign in the yard, get online - craigslist, AJC, Creative Loafing, etc.

2. Be ready to work with a buyer's agent. Go ahead and put in your ad that you'll pay a buyer's agent's commission, that's the best way to get serious buyers in the door.

3. Keep your ad short and sweet - no one is going to read about your wall paper, how big each closet is, or how great the schools are. They already know about the schools, I assure you. And if the hard numbers look right - # of beds, # of baths, and price - then they will probably want to see your house. Don't waste time or money on lots of words.

4. Act quickly - the market is changing so fast that even full time professionals have to work to keep up with things. If you don't have any serious lookers in the first 35 days, you need to re-think either your price or your willingness to work with an agent.

No comments: